Hotels with good point credit card point redemptions

I have been learning about credit card sign up and spend bonuses and find Bangkok has some good value hotels that are free without burning too many points. For example, Starwood Preferred Guest:

ALOFT 3000 to 4000 SPG points per night

FourPoints 3000 to 4000 points per night

Westin or Sheraton Grande 5th night free when redeeming points.

Does anyone else have specific hotels they like to stay at with points? I'm curious about IHG branded hotels.

• 2 weeks later...

I´m traveling a lot with work, and I´m using Club Carlson as it´s really only Radisson that have good coverage in the Nordics where I am traveling and in Bangkok - where I spend holidays. In Sukh there are two Radissons and two Park Plazas that is part of Club Carlson. In the US they offer a VISA-card, which includes a gold-membership. This gives you room upgrades (if available) and +35 % points. (www.clubcarlsonvisa.com)

I recently reached 75 night and got to the highest level of Club Carlson, + 75 % points, free breakfast and occasional suite upgrade. With all the work travel, I earn about 3 weeks in the Radisson Blu Bangkok a year.

For credit card, I use AmEx from EuroBonus. I earn about one round trip long haul with companion ticket a year. Gets me from Oslo to Bangkok with Thai Air.

For frequent flyer miles, I use Norwegian (short-haul flight only in Europe) which after some flying gives 12 % cash back to be spent on flights. Further, they have a campaign this year which earns me a free round trip to BKK in 2016 when I fly 24 short hauls from August to December this year. Nice deal!

With all the work related travel, figuring out the most rewarding bonus schemes kind of becomes an hobby, and it pays off. In all, I get two round trip long hauls from Oslo to Bangkok with 3 weeks in a 5 star hotel a year. Then there is the 12 % cash points on flight on top of that.

I am sure there are better alternatives for hotels in Bangkok, and would like to hear others input. The credit card bonus scheme available in the UK, Europe and the US varies a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

It is worth having a read of this website -> http://loyaltylobby.com

I am sure they have a comparison of each hotel program etc. but could not find it when I quickly looked.

It also lists the current promotions the Hotel groups are running too when bonus points etc. are on offer.

Also with SPG they have a weekly special that is published Wednesday nights through to Saturday night.

Some good rates can be had if you are prepared to prepay 6 weeks or less out from your intended dates.

If you are prepared to change hotels daily you can get status fairly easy with a lot of the Hotel chains.

Another forum to look over is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php

I am SPG Platinum and the benefits are only worth it at the higher end properties.

Edited by mrfreeze

I've been very pleased to be a member of IHG (Intercontinental, Holiday Inn, Crown Plaza, Indigo, several others ) for about a decade. I've got their credit card which I only use at their properties. The card keeps me at gold status, and the cost of the card ($50US/yr) is much more than covered by the free night I receive each year. I travel 4-5 times a year and manage to maintain platinum status, which generally gets me into a room whenever I arrive and an upgraded one at that, along with other benefits. There's a lot more about the program I've liked, but they recently changed their point system so it might not be so easy to obtain platinum status anymore. 

At one point I thought of dragging IHG because I had stayed at so many shitty Holiday Inns in the US, but then I started traveling to Asia. The ones I've been to in BKK, Phuket and in Japan have been wonderful. I know BKK has many IHG properties. The only ones I've stayed at are Holiday Inn Silom and Indigo on Wireless Road. Indigo is really fantastic and it really shocked me because I didn't think Holiday Inn Silom could be matched. Very happy with both properties -- well maintained, great rooms, phenomenal staff. Indigo has a much better pool area if that's your thing. Each is a couple blocks from skytrain.

I see you are asking for the point bonuses. Those things change all the time , like sales, so I can't give you specifics to a particular property. IHG typically has options where you can pay $10 or so more and get additional point bonuses, or bonus to stay at multiple brands in a certain time period or stay multiple days. You get flooded with bonus points pretty quick. 10x bonus if you spend money with your card at the property (I've always been pleased with the restaurants at IHG properties EXCEPT Holiday Inn Express where breakfast is free and worth every penny). 

• 2 weeks later...

Dont work for me. I never pay over £20 a night, and there are some very very good hotels for that price. Why pay big money for a hotel youre only going to shower and shag in?

If your bedroom and bathroom at home look like a £20 or less a night guest house/hotel, I understand why you want to stay there.

Edited by wtko3888

It is a little off the topic. Accor just have a private sales until 1-19. Up to 50% discount. You could use points to redeem the rooms too. I just booked my rooms for my stays next month in Thailand.

Edited by wtko3888

• 1 month later...

i would elect to pay for the low tier properties with spg and save the points for higher end resorts & hotels like st regis and W.

you don't get much bang for the buck when using points for aloft or four points

It depends...We are staying at Aloft next weekend for 3000 pts, cash rate 4119 THB, which is a redemption value in US currency of 3.8cents/point. I'll take that anyday.