How's everyone doing with the Red shirt demos?

Being outside of Thailand at the moment, the only thing we hear about the "troubles" in Bangkok are snippets on the news or in the paper. I was there in 2008 when the Yellow shirts were demonstrating and eventually blocked the airport.

Hope everyone in BKK at the moment is not being affected, and not facing too many disruptions.

Good Luck to all and let's hope it's all sorted for when I'm back in July :unsure:

The red shirts are constantly going by my place at night and in the morning honking their damn horns. Fortunately, my apartment is in the back corner away from Sukhumvit. So, I don't hear them in my bedroom. I do hear them once I open up the sliding glass doors to the balcony to let the breeze in.

I know its been messed up around the Siam station area. Siam Paragon, Siam Center, Central world, etc had been closed for a few days. I'm not sure, if they've reopened yet or not. Since, I haven't gone down that way since they declared the state of emergency.

Perhaps, I'll venture down there today for something to do. If I do, I'll post again with an update.

Writing this while i am in Bangkok i can honestly say yes we certainly do have protests here in the city. However at this moment in time they are not causing me any major problems at all. tried to get to sala ding on Tuesday but turned back due to the protests. Right now the city is in a state of emergency but to be honest it is not causing any major problems as yet.

we have had two red shirt arrests this morning and on the news it did say they had home made bombs on them. (cnn international)

Therfore i think i will pop up to Pattaya for the weeks holideay festive fun. better to be safe than sorry i say.

Writing this while i am in Bangkok i can honestly say yes we certainly do have protests here in the city. However at this moment in time they are not causing me any major problems at all. tried to get to sala ding on Tuesday but turned back due to the protests. Right now the city is in a state of emergency but to be honest it is not causing any major problems as yet.

we have had two red shirt arrests this morning and on the news it did say they had home made bombs on them. (cnn international)

Therfore i think i will pop up to pattaya for the weeks holideay festive fun. better to be safe than sorry i say.

I'm sure you would rather be in Sunny Doncaster tomorrow, my friend....

While they are not causeing any major probems they are becoming a right pain in the ass. Traffic worse than ever, and many times you never know where traffic will be the worst - because they keep moiving around. Siam and Central World were closed for a few days - Siam has since opened (at least it was yesterday), but not Central World.

I'd say the chances of things turning violent have increased over the past week or so - both because they have become much more of a pain in the ass for folks that live in the city and also because of some of the stupid shit they have been doing (like storming the TV station yesterday).

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2010/0410/1224268052337.html

All this being said if you use the MRT/BTS to get around and stay away from the protest areas one can get along pretty much business as usual.

I picked a bird up from Rainbow 3 the other night, and she said the reds will hang around as long as their leaders keep the food and booze flowing. She also said anyone could raise a similar mob in Thailand by doing the same thing - supply food and booze. Also as there is a bit of a party atmosphere at times and Thai's love a party. So it is hard to tell how many of them really care for the cause, and how many are there mainly for the food, booze, and party.

Should be interesting to see how things unfold next week - last Songkran there was some violance, might be a repeat this year?

Hi

Someone have news about Red shirt? I read papers and it becomes more intensive with murder.

But for tourism (cultural and sexual), its really a big problem? Because i have to stay 45days there in Grand President hotel.

I dont scare about Red shirts, just about closed mart or closed street.

I was in Bangkok during fight yellow/red shirts last years and they was nice with tourists, they always tried to protect us against flying bottle or gaz.

(sorry for my suc*ing english, im french :D )

They are still around, but things have calmed down a bit since the weekend. I wouldn't worry about it. Just use common sense and you'll be fine.

Don't worry about your English. Its way better than my French. :D