What to look for when deciding on a hotel in the area?

For those that have multiple trips to the LOS what are the "bullet points" you look for in a hotel? Besides price and cleanliness, I would imagine closeness and openness of of extra guest. I think I've read one or two post where people have mentioned using in-room safes but if you were going to give some a list to checkoff what would that list consist of?

• Price (Whats an estimate for 3 or 4 star?)
  • Cleanliness
  • Closeness (How far is too far?)
  • Openness (Will you get up-charged or told no for bringing a ST or LT girl back)
  • Safe
  • something
  • something else
  • something most people don't think of
  • something most normal people don't think of
  • etc...

• Price (Whats an estimate for 3 or 4 star?)
  • Openness (Will you get up-charged or told no for bringing a ST or LT girl back)
  • Safe

Price: 1500 - 3000 bath. Look for deals on Agoda, hotels and so on. Trip Advisor is good for ratings and you can see traveler photos.

Closeness: anywhere between Soi 2 and Soi 23 is ok, but the closer to the NEP (or SC) the better. Careful not to end up too deep in a Soi. There are some ok hotels on Soi 11/13 which IMO is too deep. For first-timers, I recommend Majestic Grande. Majestic Suits I hear is good value, if you don´t need a pool.

Openness: Google the name of the hotel + Bangkok + "guest friendly" or "bar girl friendly" or something like that. If in doubt, send them an email and ask about their joiner policy. Or post a question on forum under the hotel section.

Safe: I have stayed in about 15 different hotels in Sukh and have not seen a room without a safe. I assume it´s there and don´t bother asking. Worst thing that could happen is that you will need to find an alternative storing.

Generally, consider what you need and what you are willing to pay for. There is no need to pay more for a hotel with a pool if you won´t use it. Do you enjoy staying at a fancy hotel, or are you just looking for a bed to sleep? For me, the hotel is part of the experience. I enjoy bringing a girl to a nicer hotel, and I am willing to spend a bit more (but I do regret those 9 nights in a row at Sofitel).

I also move around a bit. Changing hotels is not a big effort for me, so I don´t mind. Then you can split your time between the NEP area and the SC area. You can also book a cheaper hotel half of the stay and then live a life in luxury spending what you saved on a nicer one the second half (important that it is in that order).

Does this mean that you are about to book your trip? :)

Edited by Hermansen

Interesting topic...personal preference has a lot to do with it.  For me, even when I'm on vacation I still wake up early and like to have a cup of coffee and check my email.  So rooms size and in-room coffee maker, etc are some of the things I look for. 

decent gym/pool and good wifi

proximity to clubs, not just go-go bars (I prefer Soi 11)

once you narrow it down, you can always e-mail the hotel directly to ask about price and joiner fee.

Price (Whats an estimate for 3 or 4 star?)
  • Cleanliness
  • Safe

I've tended to stay at the same places on most recent visitswhich is the Royal President and more recently the Grand President

Main reason has been the suites where you get a fair amount of room space - bedroom + living room - feels nicer than just a bedroom

Cost has been about 2000-2500 baht

Also don't have joiner fees, have decent sized safes.

Wireless internet is also a priority for me which grad president wasnt great for last time if I remember - had a wired connection which could use and seem to remember doing last time due to wireless problems at Grand President.

Grand President is also on soi 11 and next door to climax night club.

Like the Royal President as not much in the way of noise but pool isnt that great.

Starting point "should be" and "must have" a reputation for being Guest Friendly!!!!!!

Every time in Bangkok I always make a decision between 3 places:

Phachara Suites( Soi 6), Grand President( Soi 11) or Admiral Suites(Soi 22).

King Size beds with good pillows and all the amenities to make a monger having a great time in Bangkok!!!!!

What do the hotels who aren't "guest friendly" usually charge and are they that up on their game that they know everyone coming and going in order to fine you?

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The continental at Asoke is girl friendly. Best place close to everything especially Soi Cowboy.

Get a rate with free breakfast. Great western & Asian spread. With real bacon. (got caught out with that beef-bacon sh|t at other hotels.)

I agree to be careful with hotels deep down the soi. Especially if that soi is a way from the nearest BTS. You'll be walking in the heat all day.

I've been caught in soi 11 & soi 13 hotel with flash flooding. The soi will fill in minutes to almost knee deep water. Taxi can't/won't get through and can take a while (maybe 30-60 mins) to clear in the rainy season.

• 2 weeks later...