Is Duty Free Booze Worth Getting?

bob_ny

On my next trip I'm thinking about picking up a bottle of spirits for my hotel room play dates.

I'm wondering if it's worth it and if there is even any savings over just drinking the locally purchased variety at 7/11 or food mart.

Anyone have any experience with this lately?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on what you would buy at Duty Free.  If you want a particular high end brand of whiskey or tequila, it may make sense, as the 7-11 or Food Marts, etc will likely not carry specific high end western brands.  The taxes on certain alcohols (wine) are excessive, so if you like wine, it does make sense.

I never do duty free, as I almost never drink in my room, so the answer for me is no.  When I get back to my room, maybe a bit of room service, but then it is time for fun. - and maybe a beer or two from the mini-bar.

It depends on what you would buy at Duty Free. If you want a particular high end brand of whiskey or tequila, it may make sense, as the 7-11 or Food Marts, etc will likely not carry specific high end western brands. The taxes on certain alcohols (wine) are excessive, so if you like wine, it does make sense.

I never do duty free, as I almost never drink in my room, so the answer for me is no. When I get back to my room, maybe a bit of room service, but then it is time for fun. - and maybe a bee or two from the mini-bar.

Thx lev

I've got no extreme desire for high end brands. I think my booze needs can be met with any drinkable brand.

But if there was a 30-50% savings for a premium brand over in country purchase I would consider for any shock and awe it might provide.

But really, shock and awe is easily obtained with beau coup baht.

There may be some small discount to be had, but it's not anywhere near the 30% mark and I doubt that it's truly "duty free" given the usually high prices. Depending on where you're arriving from, I find it's often a better bargain to bring in a bottle or two rather rather than buy it on arrival.

Remember duty free does not mean profit free and airport outlets do have high overheads. Yes you can save a little but I do not think it is worth the effort of carrying it. You are only bring in allowed 1 bottle to Thailand and that could be wine or spirits

Whilst we are talking booze I've promised a bar boss I would bring him back a bottle of tequila. I've checked online and couldn't find any decent tequila listed on the airport website. (I need anejo) If I box it up and wrap it in bubble wrap will I be ok to put it in my checked luggage?

Whilst we are talking booze I've promised a bar boss I would bring him back a bottle of tequila. I've checked online and couldn't find any decent tequila listed on the airport website. (I need anejo) If I box it up and wrap it in bubble wrap will I be ok to put it in my checked luggage?

That should be fine.

I used to purchase and transport lots of booze even before the invention of bubble wrap without any problems.

We used to roll the bottles up in our t-shirts.

Edited by bob_ny

liquor bottles are generally pretty tough, drop an empty one sometime. I've seen them bounce off tile from 3-4 feet.

• 3 weeks later...

i always bring a bottle 

i work offshore i dont drink an awful lot at home 

if your drinking thai branded stuff then thres really no point

just a matter of preference

watch a thais eyes light up when u use non thai branded alcohol though

Always get a bottle of wine for my condo when I am coming back in from my 4 weeks at work, as the price of good wine in Thailand is ridiculous!

Just be aware that you are only allowed to bring one bottle in, I know a couple of people have been stung with a fine bringing in too many ciggerattes and bottles of booze.