new taxi meter scam

got in yellow taxi meter reg number 2569 woman in her 30's red thirt jeans long hair tied back agreed price 1200bht to Pattaya gets there says she wants 1500bht refuses to open trunk so i can get my luggage i shouted at her told her our agreement she calls police they take her side i have to pay. now will ask for wrriten contract reset of how much or ask them to put meter which they should by law if you ask them and meter should start at 35bht. and also ask for licence details.

Did you post this same thread over on Thai visa?

Tbh I would hardly call 6 quid being scammed, for a westerner. Ok I can see the principle but had she said maybe 2-3k I would sympathise more.

I got short changed at 7/11 once by 500bhat. I only realised after but couldn't be arsed to kick up a fuss for a small amount of money.

• 4 weeks later...

Likewise, I would have just paid the 1500 and chaulk it up as a lesson learned. It sucks being lied to or cheated, but best to not risk trouble with the police in Thailand or any foreign country. You have no protections so be smart.

got in yellow taxi meter reg number 2569 woman in her 30's red thirt jeans long hair tied back agreed price 1200bht to pattaya gets there says she wants 1500bht refuses to open trunk so i can get my luggage i shouted at her told her our agreement she calls police they take her side i have to pay. now will ask for wrriten contract reset of how much or ask them to put meter which they should by law if you ask them and meter should start at 35bht. and also ask for licence details.

I used pre book taxi i think having a written copy of the bookin can help. I also always go through a taxi agency never take a random taxi... IMho

• 2 months later...

Bangkok taxi drivers can be a real pain.  I find being asked for more than the fare they have agreed to particularly annoying.  I don't mind tipping but I don't like being scammed like that.

Even being quoted several times the correct fare because your a tourist gets a bit much.  I find most Thai people pleasant enough but a lot of the taxi drivers display a bad attitude towards tourists.