Near The Westin, But Not The Westin

Hey all,

Just to preface this, I haven't been in BKK in a long time and don't know the city at all past these Google maps I've been checking out.

I need to be at the Westin Grande (Sukhumvit, Bangkok 10110) for a three-day fair in late March. I checked the map and this seems like a minor stagger from NEP no?

But the Westin is out of my budget. I'm looking for the best place that's nearby with the prime feature of safety, and hopefully Wi-Fi. A balcony couldn't hurt either. I'm not talking backapacker digs here -- just not the Westin prices. I don't need to be particularly near NEP, so north of the Westin would be great. I need it to be quiet enough as I have to be on the money for the fair.

Possible? Any favorites? Maybe the Ever Rich Inn?

Cheers!

GDT

The Ever Rich Inn isn't bad, but you might get some noise. If you have a room in the front, sometimes you hear what is going on outside at night. Especially, if the roaming guys with guitars decide to play there and get people to sing along. However, I only ever had that problem once.

How much are you looking to spend a night on a room?

GDT

Try City Lodge , Grottino Residence , The Key Hotel , Sacha Uno , all in walking distance ( 1-3 minutes ) to the Westin.

Good lists - I would also consider SILQ or S15:

http://www.silqbkk.com/

http://www.s15hotel.com/

I have included the website for your reference only - most of the time you can get much better deals thru one of the discount hotel web-sites (agoda, wotif, latestay, discount thailand hotels, etc.).

Hey guys,

Thanks very much! I'll have a look at all those sites tonight.

Eh Rowyco, I was thinking 1000/night (and I'll stay 7 nights) but quiet is of the utmost importance. I have to be rested for this thing so if that means 1500 or even more then that's what I'll do. Hell, I want wi-fi and a pool as well, but I don't know how much that means. Well, I guess I can ask, right? What are you guys thinking: minimum in that neighborhood for a full week's stay with wi-fi, pool, and a good quiet sleep.

Oh and BG friendly! :lol:

GDT

Hey guys,

Thanks very much! I'll have a look at all those sites tonight.

Eh Rowyco, I was thinking 1000/night (and I'll stay 7 nights) but quiet is of the utmost importance. I have to be rested for this thing so if that means 1500 or even more then that's what I'll do. Hell, I want wi-fi and a pool as well, but I don't know how much that means. Well, I guess I can ask, right? What are you guys thinking: minimum in that neighborhood for a full week's stay with wi-fi, pool, and a good quiet sleep.

Oh and BG friendly! :lol:

GDT

You should have any problem with the wi-fi, but I doubt you'll find anything decent with a pool in that area for 1000 baht.

Some places that you might consider that you can probably get for in 1500 baht price range:

Ambassador - Soi 11

Manhattan - Soi 15

Swiss Park - Soi 11

Others a bit further away:

Euro Inn - Soi 31

Park Hotel - Soi 7

Regency Park - Soi 22

Royal Parkview - Soi 20

Unico Leela - Soi 3

Windsor Suites - Soi 20

A pool has never been important to me, so I'm not very familiar with these hotels.

Grand Millenium on Asoke is about 5-10 minutes walk from Westin. It's normally close to Westin prices but available as a current WOTIF secret stay for 2,600 Baht. Stayed there three times last year and they have the quietest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. You hear nothing from outside and nothing from your neighbours.

I would recommend City Lodge, it's right across the street from the Westin, for around 1500 if you shop around. Managed by Amari, there's no pool but rooms have a small balcony, and are decent size after having been refurbished a few years ago. I stay there a lot and like the location and value.