I think you might have to have a Thai Retirement visa to open a bank account, but not exactly sure.

I had to show a retirement visa 4 years ago when I opened my account with Kasikorn Bank. 

I opened an account on a tourist visa before but some banks won't allow that. There are a lot of posts online about the best ways to get it done.

If you are planning on wiring money over it won't be any cheaper than converting money at a good exchange place. Kasikorn, the green farmers bank which I primarily use, doesn't have good rates on conversion of incoming funds. They only charge 500 baht on incoming money though and most banks have a set wire transfer fee that is less than $100. You are better off bringing cash and exchanging at a super rich unless large amounts in which case you can get a better rate from the bank when the contact you to verify the wire funds are yours.

The banks will do paperwork on large transfers and starting this year are supposed to report all accounts with over $10k dollars to the financial crimes agency if you are an American. FYI.

• 1 month later...