Grand Palace tours?

vesmax

I've run across some online references to free daily tours at various hours at the Grand Palace, but haven't been able to deduce whether it's current or stale info. Does anyone here know what is really the case? 

Also, would anyone care to give an opinion on the amount of time that an enthusiastic traveler might budget for the Grand Palace and Wat Kaew? And has anyone rented the audio tour? Thanks.

Hey vezmax, Good to see non-mongering questions on the forum from time to time. I am planning on touristy things for my BKK trip in November too and so have been doing some research. Here is what I have learnt.

The palace is open from 8:30 to 15:30.

4 free guided tours every day starting at 10:00, 10:30, 13:30 and 14:00. This is correct as of last month (August).

Free guided tours start inside the palace entrance after you buy the 200BHT ticket for entry. Ask at the ticket counters for the exact tour start timings on the day.

Watch out for the touts before you get to the ticket desks. Apparently, they will always say that the palace is closed for the day but they will take you on a private tour through the back entrance (for a fee of course).

I have been advised to allow at least 3 hours for the palace and Wat Kaew. I plan to do this one afternoon after a nice heavy brunch :). I think I will also rent the audio guide if they are still working.

Disclaimer: I haven't been to Grand Palace myself. Will do so on my upcoming trip in November. All the info I gathered is from other forums and travellers...

Sorry, the ticket costs 400 BHT and not 200 BHT as I stated in my reply.

That info could be outdated, as I seem to recall paying 500 baht for my ticket when I visited back in January (high season prices?). And you don't really need a guide, you just start walking and snapping pics. Couple of things, though:

1. It's VERY hot, with not much shade in sight during the mid-day. The fact that you have to wear pants and long sleeves doesn't help. If you're sensitive to heat, go in the morning.

2. Be prepared for a horde of rude, pushy PRC tourists. Not an issue for some guys, just sayin... 

Personally, while I though Grand Palace impressive, it was not my favorite tourist attraction. I much preferred the Golden Mount, but still, it's good to do once.

I have quite a few pics that I took, and will post them if there is any interest. 

Edited by looney4pooney