Sim Cards with Data Plans

Hi All,

Have googled, but the latest discussion date I could find was early 2012, I will be in town next week and want to know best value sim with data as I want to Skype a work colleague as I patrol the entertainment area's!! Outside only obv!!!

I use AIS 1,2 call prepaid. 350 baht for 1GB usage. You can check data remaining by dialing *121*3# just save it as a contact.

Dtac prepaid will get you about the same according to their website. When they advertise 'unlimited' they usually refer to wifi not 3G. http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/Happy-internet-package.html

Kimao,

Do you buy the AIS 1,2 call prepaid sim card at 7-11 ?

Any SIM card will required the iPhone to be carrier unlocked. You can get jailbroken or unlocking done at many computer shops or use something called a gevey sim that basically mimics unlocking on your device. Don't know much more about them other than I used one on a locked iPhone in the Philippines before without issue. When done just replace normal sim and you're good to go.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I got my iPhone unlocked before I left the States.  I called my carrier and they sent me to Apple that sent me a link and then I think I had to do some magic to make it take effect.  By magic, I mean I had to follow the instructions they gave me and then check back to see if it was unlocked.

I certainly wouldn't wait until the last minute to get this done.  A friend of mine told me recently that the same carrier wouldn't unlock her phone for her because she was close to the expiration of her contract.  I don't know if that's the reason, but you may have to negotiate with them to get it unlocked, or find a store that will do it for a fee.

As soon as I got off the plane at the airport, I went up to one of the phone company desks and purchased a sim card with a month of unlimited data useage.  It cost about 500 baht.  There was a limit on the phone calls, which I doubt I would've used up during my 3 week stay except that I got a couple of phone numbers from friends I met and didn't realize the phone #'s they gave me were for U.S. phones.  So I ran out of calling minutes a couple of days before I left and just bought a top up card for 90 baht at the 7/11.  I probably should've bought the 60 baht card, but they were out of them and I didn't want to go shopping around and just wanted to use my phone right away.

As far as the unlimited data is concerned, I think there is a limit on the speed of the internet.  I think you've got access to the fastest speed for a limited amount of data, and when you reach that limit your data speed slows down considerably.

I didn't have a problem with it because I used wifi whenever possible.  I got as many wifi codes as possible wherever I frequented.

Also, the sim card for an iPhone is a different size than most other phones, and the girl at the counter needed to cut the sim card down in size with a scissor.  I've read where sometimes these places don't have scissors or paper clips.  You'll need a paper clip to open your sim card holder on an iPhone.