Bangkok girl Documentary on sex tourism

I'v seen this documentary a few times.  Its actually been posted on here before a few years ago. 

In all honesty, I find the footage of Bangkok from about 11 years ago when they shot this to be the most interesting part of the movie. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have seen the documentary before my first trip and even though the story is sad, I think this is quite a typical one.

I found it very good to know where I am going and not seeing everything through pink glasses.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow, pretty cool documentary.

It's quite a different perspective on living from how we understand life in the West.

For me that's what makes the culture so fascinating.  In the West we try to make life as easy and as pain free as possible.  In Thailand, they accept that life is all about suffering.  That quote about how Thais refer to death with joy as that person's suffering is over.  

In the West, we do a lot of really stupid things for money.  We sacrifice our time mostly doing meaningless tasks instead of pursuing our dreams for money so we can survive with as little pain as possible.  We are under the illusion that we can avoid pain, and in Thailand they accept it as part of life.

There's a quick picture of a beggar on Suk that pulls himself along on the ground with a pan in front of himself.  He's got one long "leg" and one short "leg".  He's been there for years.

I heard there are trucks that take the beggars to their locations each morning and pick them up each evening.  I've seen the same babies sitting in the laps of mothers and then grandmothers all day long.  It's as if they take shifts begging.  

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they pay rent for their space on their little patch of sidewalk where they beg.