Livingstone's Soi 33

Guest USAguy

Guest USAguy

Does anyone have any concrete information about what is going on with The Lodge? I read on a hotel review dated August 2013 that the German owner is retiring and that it is coming under new ownership....Also said that the sports bar had closed down. Anyone know any solid information?

Guest USAguy

Stickman did an interview with him just shy of a year ago where he stated that Soi 33 is dying and talked about many of the factors contributing to the decline in traffic. Perhaps some foreshadowing of his desire to move on to more prosperous ventures.

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/StickmanWeeklyColumn2012/Livingstones-Bangkok.htm

Interesting read. Thanks for the link. I have reservations there this fall....So, things might get interesting!

• 2 months later...

Recent update on Livingston's...

Apparently, it has been acquired by new owners and may be trending upwards. It's now known as the Ocean at Livington's (soi 33). The link is here:

http://oceanbangkok.com/

Despite what Stickman said about Soi 33, I'm looking forward to hanging out there in a few weeks. Seems there are quite a few MPs (which I love) and it's not that far to go down to lower Suk....Anyway, I'll file a report on the Ocean next month. It's still like 2,500 baht per night.

• 1 month later...

Hi USA Guy

Thanks for the Link ,I was up there a few months ago and had a look at the building that was on going, seems like they have done a good job according to the web site, I was looking for a different place to stay on my next visit ,away from Nana for a small change, I have stayed at the old place a few times and enjoyed it (nice to relax at the pool ),the German guy that used to run it was a good guy very helpful, but this new place look,s trendy, 

• 2 months later...

Well....I can't say I'm sold on the place. When I visited it was very obviously in transition. I hope they've gotten themselves sorted out. Gone was the fun atmosphere that was there when the German owned it. What is replacing it remains to be seen. The room I stayed in was so-so. The common areas were very nice. I think that I was one of two guests in the entire hotel. A Swiss guy and his partner (gf maybe?) run the place now. French speaking they are.