Hotel advice

Just thought I would ask some advice on hotels as I am going the end of may for my first trip and I'm there for 10 days but I want to be flexible so I have only booked a hotel for the first 3 nights. Do you book hotels in advance or recommend you should? See sooo many hotels advertised and all pics I see of BKK have loads of visitors so did not want to end up with little or no choice after 3 nights.

Thanks

• Upvote 1

You will do fine. You did the right thing to have a place to "land" other than that you can work the daily market rate of many fine places. A lot are on this board and will detail issues and noise etc. you have com eto the right place for a true idea of the area and things involved for a comfortable stay.

Hi Gingert

I know 10 days seems a long time now but this will fly past, so you do not want to be tied down to one place unless you really like it and you won’t know that till you get there (stating the obvious I know).

I tell my mates only to book for two days max, they then have the flexibility to move on if they don’t like it , I would not recommend you stay in BKK all that time for your firs trip ,get of down to Pattaya (sister board Pattaya addicts has every hotel and recommendation you will need ) or down to Phuket, But don’t try to do all 3 in one trip.

Get some serious research done on this and other boards like it, how much to pay, scams, what is expected, how to treat the Thais Difference between, good drinking bars and Go Go’s, how to you think you should be treated and what the reality relays is, different between afternoons and night adventures, if you are a beer drinker and like a good session and friendly people

Never judge a book by its cover, I have spoilt many a good day evening out this way, over paranoid when I first came here or tried a new area thinking everyone is at it,(they probably in some form or shape are but it is how much you let them get away with what matters) meet up with fellow BMS and they will give you a start in the right direction.

Most of this info mate is on here when you get stuck please feel free to ask

My advice is book a hotel in Bkk on the lower sukhumvit Rd from soi 1 through to 15 is the about the lowest I go now. Very handy for either for the Nana or Cowboy entertainment areas. Some good deals floating around, all depends on your Budget,

Two points to remember mate we are here for a good time not a long time, and never go ugly early in Thailand.

Cheers for the replies, very useful and I have been trolling the forum day and night reading as much as I can and have a much better idea of what to expect and what to do and not do! also I really wanted to get a idea of how to behave as I have a huge amount of common sense but I am visiting their country and I would not want to offend anyone and also try to understand a little of the culture so I think its only fair to do research and I will be posting dates once I see May roll call pop up lol! Still have loads of questions but loving this place and the advice and looking forward to my holiday (first of many I am sure!)

The May roll call is already up (scroll down). I too arrive in LOS about mid May 15-29. Andy hit it right on the head. No need to be paranoid. You do your research here and some other places, you will do fine. You end up in Patts you will take one night just to get the thrill of the place out of your system! Talk about a OVER sensory load! WOW it will blow you away the first time there - OK 3. I have posted some hints about some issues - especially western/Euros that "hang" around the bars - look under scams. Other than that the typical stuff, don't disrespect the king, don't go upstairs and try before you buy.

• 1 month later...

Thought rather than start a new thread I'd ask here. Anyone stayed at Best Western@ Suk 20? It was listed on a bkk guest friendly site but not sure how up to date that is.

Cheers

Plenty of great options ginger

If you do prebook and you are still worried

make sure you can cancel it with enough warning

I prebooked and had to postpone my trip , lost about $300 Aud

DOH