Angel City Diner - American-Style 1950's Diner on Soi 11

The recently opened Angel City Diner is an American-style 1950’s diner theme restaurant, with a healthy sprinkling of faux icons from a long lost sentimental favorite of baby-boomer Americans ... juke box loaded with talent (1950's, 1960's, oldies that can be selected from each booth), fountain drinks, a good effort at the American diner's unique 'roadside' architecture, art deco pendant lights, a properly provisioned menu, 12-15 booths, barstool counter service, etc.

The menu includes a selection of heavy duty sandwiches (burgers, Italian meatball, steak, chili dog, turkey, Reuben, pastrami, etc.) at THB 250-350, salads, appetizers at THB 125-225, main dishes (turkey, meat loaf, steak, burrito, etc.) at THB 300-500, mainline breakfast offerings (3-egg omelets, pancakes, breakfast burrito, basic bacon/sausage/eggs, corned beef hash) at THB 200-300, and desserts (pies, cakes, etc.).

They also feature old-style fountain drinks (cherry colas), floats and fantastic shakes.

For Thais with no taste for adventure, there is a limited selection of Thai dishes.

Soft opening was New Year's 2013, but they’ve pretty much shaken out the kinks and the kitchen is hitting on all cylinders. All our dishes were properly prepared, with generous portions (emphasis added), and all quite good... Italian meatball sandwich, steak sandwich, turkey and dressing, breakfast burrito.

Not inexpensive... for the above dishes with shakes, our bill for four was THB 2,100, but we all left feeling well fed, and in no need of dessert.

Now open 24/7, the diner is ideally positioned to catch the late, late traffic spilling from nearby clubs and bars.

Located about 400m into Soi 11, on the left, in the ground level of the The Prime 11 Condo, nearly across the soi from Bed Supper Club.

Anyone in need of a mongo meal will enjoy Angel City Diner... they serve very large portions, which is I understand now the standard practice in many US restaurants. Angel City Diner is to me the great American-style breakfast joint for which I've been waiting … limited choices, but you will be over-served and fully topped-off when you walk out of this place.

I will return to Angel City again, and again.

http://angelcitydiner.com

Edited by brutox
  • Upvote 1

I tried the Reuben sandwitch and cannot recommend it, better at the Landmark I think. The beef was tough and stringy (i.e. local). Swiss cheese was tasty and cloeslaw was good, however. About 540 baht, including a cherry coke, they add 17% for service and VAT. Portions were quite large, I couldn't finish it, but really didn't want to.

Although the sign says '24 hours', this is part of the motif. I don't believe the restaurant opens until 3 PM, at least that was the case when I stopped there for breakfast a few weeks ago.

I think this is better than the V-8 diner in The Strip mall next to Times Square, but that's not saying much.

Music was good.

I tried the Reuben sandwitch and cannot recommend it, better at the Landmark I think. The beef was tough and stringy (i.e. local). Swiss cheese was tasty and cloeslaw was good, however. About 540 baht, including a cherry coke, they add 17% for service and VAT. Portions were quite large, I couldn't finish it, but really didn't want to.

Although the sign says '24 hours', this is part of the motif. I don't believe the restaurant opens until 3 PM, at least that was the case when I stopped there for breakfast a few weeks ago.

I think this is better than the V-8 diner in the strip mall next to Times Square, but that's not saying much.

Music was good.

... thanks Piece Corp, I will by-pass on the Reuben, which is one of the Holy Trinity sandwiches for which I hunger out here, and can find nowhere meeting my expectations ... (as you, I think Landmark's Reuben is probably the best in class ... but, it is not a particularly gifted class here).

... I did the breakfast burrito yesterday, which was an absolute killer breakfast ... filled with the good stuff ... left wanting for nothing.

... Angel City Diner is really more of a comfort food joint, rather than falling on the fine dining side of restaurants ... a bit more expensive than most comfort food joints are generally priced, for sure, but it hits well above average in quality and the large portions prevent it from being a bad value, due to its higher price points.

... it has earned a place on my regular restaurant rotation, replacing the V-8 Diner you mentioned, which has in my view never been more than a weak copy of an American diner, synthesized from images only off of the Internet, rather than anything authentic.

... FYI on Angel City's opening hours ... they are open for breakfast now ... seemed they were open only limited hours until they got the kitchen working and the staff trained-up.

Edited by brutox

LOL I love the attmeps at "home cooking" in BKK. the food processing is much different and so the tast. Now the local flavors are out of this world, but they really should stop trying to be like Europe or the Americas..

LOL I love the attmeps at "home cooking" in BKK. the food processing is much different and so the tast. Now the local flavors are out of this world, but they really should stop trying to be like Europe or the Americas.

... funny guy, bootoo33 ... but, I rather doubt that even a handful of the 'local flavors' about which you write will ever be accused of 'trying to be like Europe or the Americas' ... while I enjoy mutant fusion cuisines as much as the more purist varieties, a Thai-Angel City Diner Italian meatball sandwich is a culinary bridge a bit too far, I believe.

... I would not worry too much ... unadulterated Thai cuisines of all glorious regional shades will be preserved for generations and unaffected by foreign cuisines ... that, despite the presence of Angel City Diner.

Edited by brutox

The recently opened Angel City Diner is an American-style 1950’s diner theme restaurant, with a healthy sprinkling of faux icons from a long lost sentimental favorite of baby-boomer Americans ... juke box loaded with talent (1950's, 1960's, oldies that can be selected from each booth), fountain drinks, a good effort at the American diner's unique 'roadside' architecture, art deco pendant lights, a properly provisioned menu, 12-15 booths, barstool counter service, etc.

The menu includes a selection of heavy duty sandwiches (burgers, Italian meatball, steak, chili dog, turkey, Reuben, pastrami, etc.) at THB 250-350, salads, appetizers at THB 125-225, main dishes (turkey, meat loaf, steak, burrito, etc.) at THB 300-500, mainline breakfast offerings (3-egg omelets, pancakes, breakfast burrito, basic bacon/sausage/eggs, corned beef hash) at THB 200-300, and desserts (pies, cakes, etc.).

They also feature old-style fountain drinks (cherry colas), floats and fantastic shakes.

For Thais with no taste for adventure, there is a limited selection of Thai dishes.

Soft opening was New Year's 2013, but they’ve pretty much shaken out the kinks and the kitchen is hitting on all cylinders. All our dishes were properly prepared, with generous portions (emphasis added), and all quite good... Italian meatball sandwich, steak sandwich, turkey and dressing, breakfast burrito.

Not inexpensive... for the above dishes with shakes, our bill for four was THB 2,100, but we all left feeling well fed, and in no need of dessert.

Now open 24/7, the diner is ideally positioned to catch the late, late traffic spilling from nearby clubs and bars.

Located about 400m into Soi 11, on the left, in the ground level of the The Prime 11 Condo, nearly across the soi from Bed Supper Club.

Anyone in need of a mongo meal will enjoy Angel City Diner... they serve very large portions, which is I understand now the standard practice in many US restaurants. Angel City Diner is to me the great American-style breakfast joint for which I've been waiting … limited choices, but you will be over-served and fully topped-off when you walk out of this place.

I will return to Angel City again, and again.

http://angelcitydiner.com

... I'd like to correct my prior mischaracterization of Angel City as having limited breakfast choices (I missed an entire page of the menu) ... it has many ... variety of pancake dishes, 3-egg omlettes, steak and eggs, pork chops and eggs, corned been and eggs, even sour dough toast ... it is, indeed, a mainline BKK breakfast joint for American-style, mongo-sized, hyper cholesterol-injected, gut-buster breakfasts.

Angel City Diner Exterior.JPG

Located on Soi 11, almost across from Bed Supper Club

Angel City Diner Interiors.JPG

Reasonably Authentic Interiors - Juke Box is Loaded with Old Rock n' Roll

Angel City Diner Country Breakfast.JPG

The Premium Country Breakfast, at THB 300 (large pile of pan-fried potatoes beneath the pancakes)

Edited by brutox
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

I am a big fan of the burgers at the Firehouse around the corner. I was headed there last Friday night with some friends and for some reason we expected to get a table without a reservation - not a chance..

So we begrudgingly decided to give Angel City Diner a try instead. Even though I had low expectations I was very impressed. I had the chili cheese burger with tater tots, and a shake which I loved and now can't remember the name of/flavour (though it was followed by quite a few bottles of Chang elsewhere).

I'm not sure I like this place more than the Firehouse or not, I can't make a decision until I head back and taste a few more plates - which I will do. The vibe is very different. Firehouse is more cosy though not intimate (you are sat far too close to neighbouring tables), whereas Angel City is much brighter and more playful, but actually more intimate to (with large chairs enclosing you in your booth).

I wish I knew the name of our waitress, she was amazing. A ditzy, 50-something Thai lady, who really put a smile on our faces.

• 1 month later...

Will be traveling up to Bangkok in a couple of weeks and have put this place on the short list to try for breakfast one morning. Anyone have more recent experiences with the food and know the morning opening time?

I've been back a few times but never for breakfast. Food and service hasn't disappointed yet. I believe it opens at 9 am and closes 4 am.

Thanks for the info and will give it a try.

• 4 months later...

I've eaten at ACD about a dozen times.  Each time, I am impressed by one item, and rarely disappointed.  The disco fries (smothered in brown gravy and real cheddar cheese) and chili-tots (tater tots smothered in chili) are very tasty.  I had a really good French Dip sandwich there and the burgers are always excellent.  It's now open 24/7 and it's one of my favorite spots for late night grub.