quick question on visas....

tonyxc

hi all

i am planning on staying in bkk for at least 6 months. im australian so there is no issue for me entering thailand.

question is, i am planning on making bkk my base for asia. i want to be able to say go to hong kong for the weekend or

some other neighbouring country on a whim for a couple of days.

would it make sense just to keep on entering thailand with the exempt visa, and make sure i leave/re-enter before 30 days?

would immigration question me on why i do this? and what if i dont have a return ticket since i will be travelling a bit....?

i see no point in getting the multiple entries if they dont allow me to exit/enter as i want.

thanks in advance

As an Australian u automatically get a 30 day visa every time u enter, however u can apply for a 3 month visa, which i think is done through the thai embassy or consul depending on where u live. I dont know about multiple 3 months visas, perhaps just do some searches on the internet or go and talk with someone from the embassy (thai).

• 9 months later...

Don't worry, immigration shouldn't ask you. There is even something live visa run when people just cross the border for a while to have extension (a new visa, actually). I have been questioned one time. The question was: do I speak Thai since I have so many Thai stamps in my passport.

• 3 months later...

I'm American, so maybe no the same, but I have done this kind of travel in Thailand, using it as my base, I get a 3 entry visa, that gives me 6 months, 2 months at a time, and when asking for my visa I write a short letter to explain my trip plans, I make my return ticket from BKK back to the USA, for Americans I am required to have a return ticket already when asking for the visa.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you can get a 6 month multiple entry (3 entries), you can effectively get up to 90 days x 3, as you are able to extend each 60 day entry by 30 days at Bangkok Immigration.

It takes the pressure off having to leave Thailand every month.