tourist visa question for the gurus

happylizard

I will going to Thailand on the 13th of Dec and leaving on the 14th jan which is over the 30 days visa waiver you get on a uk passport. Can I extend the visa waiver when I'm there? Or do I have to leave and come back? Or am I best to apply for a 60 day tourist visa? I think I can do that on uk passport but it will cost about $160

You can get a seven day extension on the waiver at various immigration offices, and I think it cost 1900 baht.

If you don't have air ticket scheduled to get you out of the country inside the 30 day window, and do not have a visa in your passport, there is a chance that the airline will deny you boarding on the front end of your flight. I have been asked a handful of times about my travel plans when departing for Thailand. Has happened when departing from both the US and Australia. I generally have a visa so all I've had to do was locate the visa in my passport for them.

• 1 year later...

I am American too, I get a 3 entry visa, then visa run to Cambodia every 2 months, and stay for 6 months, then you can ask for more time too, but also go to Cambodia, it is cheap and easy, and apply for 3 entry 6 months more, and you always get it, the your set, and back in no time