bts from airport

To get to Nana you'll need to take the airport train to Phaya Thai, then switch to the BTS and take the BTS train to Nana station. The airport train should take either 15 min if you get an express train (I think they run every 30 min) or about 30 min if you end up on a city link train (stops at more stations). Then about 10 min or so after switching trains onto the BTS.

Its a bit of fluffing about to save a $10-$15 air con cab fare to your hotel door, innit?

Depends on how bad trafffic is/what time of days it is, how far your hotel is from a BTS/MRT station, and how much luggage you have. Generally speaking for me it is about saving time and not money. If my flight arrives any time around 5PM (especially if it is raining at the time and/or if it is Friday) then I tend to use the trains to avoid sitting in traffic.

I would love it if Bangkok ever got around to having someting like they have at Narita in Tokyo - a large electronic sign-board that shows how heavy traffic is around the city. In Tokyo I use that board to decide if I'll use the bus (if traffic is not too bad) or if I'll use the trains (to avoid sitting in traffic). Right now all I have to base my decision on in Bangkok is past experience and when I've had to sit in traffic in the past - ie time of day, day of the week, and weather conditions - so I am sure I have taken the train a time or two that did not end up saving me much time as traffic had not been near as bad as I had expected.

Also if one has packed extreamly light (ie - only carry-on bag(s); rarely the case for me), then using the trains is a great option.

All this being said the powers that be really should put some money into making the transfer from the airport rail line to the MRT/BTS system easier.