rock climbing, top rope

lcale1111

I'm a climber but sadly at home right now or I would have joined. What I hear is that the place you mention isnt al that great. Hot and sweaty. But I havent been.

I can however recommend Stonegoat bouldering gym. Come before 14:00 and it's cheap, easy access by BTS or bus over Sukhumvit Road. Great fellow climbers there both Thai and international and even some fit girls working out. It's my go-to place everytime I'm in BKK. Got some great tips on of-the-grid outdoor climbing too, but Chang Mai, Tonsai or Laos are still better for that.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah i went there yesterday, there was plenty of auto belay which was nice so i plan to head back. Too bad i didnt bring my gear so had to rent 150 for shoe/harness. 495 a day pass (400 promo if u checkin b4 1pm) and they have a 595 weekend pass so i'll probably do that this weekend. It was nice with AC at the front desk but once u go to the climbing area AC is gone lol. Oh and i've seen two different type of top rope gear the belayers use but dont know the terms. The one i'm used to would just auto lock the rope when someone falls but thsi place uses i guess the simpler equipment.

Tried bouldering for a bit but i think its tougher on joints or something so sticking with top rope. Nice i've never tried outdoor climbing. Should have when i was younger, know i feel i break more easily hah

Edited by lcale1111

thanks for the update, I'll check it out. Guess it's pretty much impossible to keep a place that big fully AC'd. Autobelays are nice, you can even go without a buddy. I do prefer rope to boulder, just normally a bit of a struggle without a trusted partner. I've seen some of these guys teaching courses in the outdoor areas and I prefer to pick my own belayer. I'm a climbing instructor too so you become a bit more apprehensive once you've seen stuff. Don't worry about the belay devices though. There are dozens on the market and as long as used correctly (the belayer never ever lets go of the rope beneath the device - the brake hand - no matter what device they are using) it's perfectly safe.

It's be a while until I'm back in BKK, but when I am I'll post here and we can find climbing buddies.