Hotels: Movenpick or Duangtawan in Chiang Mai

Anyone stayed at either of these hotels?  Both are close to each other and in a good location for shopping, bars and getting to tourist attractions.  The two are rated 4 star, but Movenpick seems a tad higher in quality.  I saw a yt video of Duangtawan and the lobby looked amazing.  However in one room, the shower stall had stained and moldy looking caulking.  Seems to me, caulking can be replaced easily and seeing a shower stall like that is a deal breaker to me.  Maybe things have changed in 2024.  OTOH, Movenpick partners with airlines for mileage, although the nightly rate is higher of the two.  Both rated guest friendly.

Appreciate your thoughts and experiences of these two hotels.  

I always like to say, the ‘M’ in ‘Thailand’ stands for maintenance. So things like stains or some older caulking aren’t going to be looked after in a timely manner except in the most upscale places. One factor I consider when choosing a hotel in Thailand is how old it is. The newer the place, the more things work as they should, the towels aren’t starting to have threads coming off, etc. Sometimes, I don’t have options and have to put up with things such as stains, towels that should have been replaced already, etc. International chains can, but not always, be somewhat better wrt to maintenance. I’ve been to many hotels in Thailand with a lovely lobby only get to off the elevator in a corridor of stained carpeting.

• Like 1