AIS, DTAC or True??

Hello again Blackline, I didn't even know there was a separate sim fee from the data fee until this trip. My current sim expires in Sept24, gonna be cutting it close if I'm able to come back and use same sim. Didn't even know about app til now, gonna download and check it out.

On 3/9/2024 at 2:36 AM, Tugger said:

I use AIS and I’ve never had a a problem in Bangkok and Pattaya. I have a prepaid mobile which I’ve kept over a couple of years. They have very good promotions during my stay and often top up at good prices. The app is very easy to use and topping up is a cinch. and more importantly, the data speeds are outstanding.

Do you use Esim or You buy a sim from a booth and add data on app your self?

I've always just went to a booth and got a sim/data plan there. This trip paid 100sim + 482 30day/unlimited. Last year 100+250, thinking i went to the wrong booth this time or rates could have just gone up.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 10:18 AM, lcale1111 said:

Hello again Blackline, I didn't even know there was a separate sim fee from the data fee until this trip. My current sim expires in Sept24, gonna be cutting it close if I'm able to come back and use same sim. Didn't even know about app til now, gonna download and check it out.

I've always just went to a booth and got a sim/data plan there. This trip paid 100sim + 482 30day/unlimited. Last year 100+250, thinking i went to the wrong booth this time or rates could have just gone up.

always use a real sim and just get it from one of the shops in one of the major malls. Get a small basic plan for a week - I'm usually there for a week at first before going to Laos and back to BKK afterwards - and from there topup the internet from the app. Nice and clear overview where you can either topup for unlimited for a certain time or some amount of data. You can also check you balance if you have limited data.

I have a seperate phone with me that's basically on hotspot mode for everything else as long as I'm in thailand. No real issue and not bothered by the small sim fee. Indeed usually have a pretty good deals on data anyway. Just thought: if there is a trick to keep the sim alive, I dunno, top up 10b every month or something, I'd like to know.

• Like 1

I have 2 phones AIS i have had for 24 years same number great customer service never any issues. Needed another phone chose True and also no issues for the 5 years i have had it. 

FYI There was a merger between DTac and True they still are separate brands but I suspect it will essentially be the same network, which could work out for the better.

Edited by Johnnysm
Spelling

On 3/10/2024 at 8:18 PM, lcale1111 said:

At the moment I use a physical Sim but the next time I’m up there, I will swap to an esim.  

On 3/9/2024 at 10:47 AM, Blackline said:

Like AIS too, got the app setup and just topup from there.

What I was wondering: sometimes I have like half a year between visits and my sim expires and I need to get a new one. Not too much of a problem but one I could go without. Is there a way to keep you number "alive" from abroad?

I use DTAC and they have a service called Jaidee Day Giveaway which allows you to extend the validity of your SIM for a small charge. You can extend by 180 days for 15 Baht up to a total accumulation of 365 days. I have roaming enabled, so I can do this while I'm overseas.

Maybe AIS have a similar service?

1.thumb.jpg.2220c6f15aa275fcf4cf7f7599d60378.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.51a5e492ad93fa835226925b8e4f77a9.jpg

• Like 3

I also use dtac (same sim, same number) for many years already and it works perfectly in nearly any part of Thailand even in the most rural parts of Isaan.

During my vacation I top up my account 10 to 12 times, every time I top up, the validity of my sim prolong for one more month. So at the end my sim valid until I will return to Thailand the next year.

I also use the dtac app that is connected with my Facebook account, so I could top up my account while being abroad as well as book a new rate plan for internet. I usally book a indiidual generated package with unlimited speed and 20GB but with free Facebook, Youtube, Line and Spotify for 90 days. Costs for the package 582 THB.

• Like 1