Peanut sauce Pad Thai

Are there many places in Bangkok who serve pad thai with peanut sauce or do they mostly use a tamarind-based sauce?  I prefer those who use peanut (not just sprinkled on top), probably because that is what I'm used to getting where I live in the States but I thought I heard tamarind is more traditional.

Probably the reason no one has answered is we're all too busy eating more interesting dishes than pad thai when we're in Bangkok! But I just did a little research and you're right, the most famous pad thai shops and stands use a tamarind sauce...

I figured I'd have pad thai once or twice for comparison purposes.  What other dishes do you recommend?  I'm looking forward to the street food while I'm there but it'll be my first time to the LOS so I'm not exactly sure what exactly to expect. 

I'm not a street food guy. My favorite meal was curry crab at Somboon Seafood, which I discovered when I went out to Huay Kwang to check out the soapys. They also have restaurants at a few malls around town. While not a Thai thing, I really enjoyed the chicken rice at the food court in Amarin Plaza on Sukhumvit. Excellent sauce. Otherwise I mostly ate whatever caught my eye at the mall food courts. For dessert, I was a fan of the coconut ice cream at the stand at the Terminal 21 food court.

On my first trip, I started in BKK and then headed out to Pattaya and Phuket. The whole fish I ate on the beach at Koh Larn opened my eyes to Thai seafood, so I'm sure I'll be eating more of that on my upcoming trip. I might even try the crab omelette at Raan Jay Fai! They say Thaisamai, next to Jay Fai, has the best pad thai in Bangkok, so you might want to try that.

Edited by briguy