Suda Thai Restaurant - Soi 14

... for those who might want to enjoy what Suda once was, there is another Thai restaurant on the very same side soi as Suda (specifically, not Soi 14, which comes off of Sukhumvit, but the side soi on which Suda also fronts) ... about 50m down the side soi from Suda ... this restaurant is what Suda was ... located on the right side of the side soi, I do not recall the restaurant name.

... large, open-air seating in a double-wide shop house ... menu is all Thai (point and grunt at what looks good) ... cheap ... authentic.

... I recommend it.

This is good to know.  I'll give it a try next time I'm in that area...I'm also going to give Som's a try as well.  I'll kill two birds with one stone since they're practically next to each other. 

Suda is good, but over the past decade the pricing has regularly increased to the point of it no longer being the hidden gem it once was.  At the same time, the service has remained inattentive.  In fact, I got up and left a few weeks ago because I couldn't get anyone to take my damn order.  I wish she was as quick on taking menu orders as she is calculating the check.

• 1 month later...

... sorry to report a poor (and my final) review on Suda, guys ... I've watched this place slowly self-destruct, a victim of the notorious Thai death sprial ... and, I tried hard to love this place again, as my Thai family and I were long, long time regulars going back to 2000 ... we went again last night, despite all instincts to pass, and my disappointment in Suda's steadfast march toward mediocrity (bordering on worse) is just too great to try this place again.

... the lower quality of the ingredients offended me last night ... the shrimp served in the tom yum goong was long-frozen, mushy, without any body, and just puny in size ... the poor quality and value of this dish, a benchmark dish for all Thai restaurants, was just beyond forgivable ... our serving of pakboon faidaeng was pitifully stingy ... the prices are no longer a value, and overpriced for what they now serve ... and, the service was just crap ... Suda is now but a faint echo of what it was.

... in prior years, the value, authenticity and quality were enough to forgive their remarkably consistent crappy service ... no more.

... I no longer recommend Suda ... she's lost me for good, I'm afraid ... leave this place to the tourists who know no better ... such a shame.

Edited by brutox