Ko Samui - First Time Advice

puthsardarade

Hi,

I will be arriving in Koh Samui in a couple of weeks for the first time.

Keen on meeting girls on an evening, occasionally during the day.

Activities such as High Park Samui, Tornado Water Extreme, Stand Up Paddling, Muay Thai.

I plan to book an apartment near Chaweng beach and walking distance to Mango appears to be the ideal spot from what I've read.

Any advice on the following:

1) Transfer from the airport to apartment which is really close to Mango on Cheweng Beach - flight arrives around 4pm?

2) Where is the best exchange shop locally for money exchange?

3) Good massages locally (no extras required - for that I would hope to pick up a girl)?

4) Best place locally to hire a motorbike and possible attractions to visit?

5) Best place to go locally to learn Muay Thai as a beginner?

5) Likely areas where I can pick up a non-bar girl and use as a tour guide for a reasonable LT fee of course?

6) Any other tips/suggestions?

I understand that's quite lot, so any responses on any of the above will be helpful and I'll also try and do my own research as well.

Thanks in advance

Most of what I said in the chiang mai thread applies here. Some differences to bear in mind.

Koh Samui is more expensive. A lot more. A cab from the airport in chiang mai will probably only be 150-200 bhat max. Depending on where you are staying expect to pay between 500 and 700 bhat on Samui. You can of course take a shared mini van with other tourists for less.

The bar action is in chaweng (more lively) and Lamai (more laid back beer bar type scene). Think there are some bars in Mae naam but I've never been there.

I generally find the locals more hardened and unfriendly in Koh Samui vs chiang mai. I'm talking about the taxi drivers, touts and other folk who are more dead set on wanting your money.

Deffo hire a bike (plenty of places around) as it will make it easier and cheaper to explore the island. Or find a girl with a bike.

Most of what I said in the chiang mai thread applies here. Some differences to bear in mind.

Koh Samui is more expensive. A lot more. A cab from the airport in chiang mai will probably only be 150-200 bhat max. Depending on where you are staying expect to pay between 500 and 700 bhat on Samui. You can of course take a shared mini van with other tourists for less.

The bar action is in chaweng (more lively) and Lamai (more laid back beer bar type scene). Think there are some bars in Mae naam but I've never been there.

I generally find the locals more hardened and unfriendly in Koh Samui vs chiang mai. I'm talking about the taxi drivers, touts and other folk who are more dead set on wanting your money.

Deffo hire a bike (plenty of places around) as it will make it easier and cheaper to explore the island. Or find a girl with a bike.

Thanks Kopite

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

It is quite expensive there but I hope you have fun! It is really fun there and you will get your money's worth. Also make sure that you stay safe if you ride a bike.