Taxi or Uber for travel around Bangkok?

Raven00

I've never used grab, have heard many good things about it.

You can negotiate a set fee with a taxi pretty easily. Especially if you're going multiple places and it'll be a while, or far, taxi's take the opportunity quick, they are all looking for a long ride that doesn't end in the middle of nowhere.

I've taken them to Pattaya, negotiating fixed price there and back 2 days later (far from the cheapest, wouldn't recommend, but it's doable).

And on a several day trip to Khon Kaen, and local transport around while there. While just a general ride here or there around Bangkok decided the driver seemed decent enough, my Thai friend asked if the driver was interested, got his number, called him later and negotiated.  A little more expensive than renting a car (cheaper than airfare for two and car rental if I remember...).

From the airport, using the official stand, they are taking great pains to avoid a "proper" welcome to bangkok with the taxi screwing you, and I've never had one FROM the airport do anything obviously screwy. Anywhere else is suspect. Even if they have the meter there, turn it on when you get in, etc., and then it just breaks (switch on the floor I'm sure) and he wants twice as much as you paid the other guy yesterday off the meter...

On 5/23/2020 at 4:17 AM, Mrmojo said:

I would love to use the subway more for the daily stuff (for the more standard shopping) as I love it in my own country but I'm always a little more hesitant in foreign countries because of the language barrier. Next time around I will definitely give it a try as it seems pretty straight forward and the time-saving can be significant during rush hours (which seem to be basically always in Bangkok)

Usually getting around Bangkok, I stick to transit if I can, everything's pretty well marked in English and easy to navigate, a bit more adventurous than just sitting in a car, and doesn't get stuck in traffic.  (though I have realized, showing up ever year or two for the last 20 or so, transit is getting crowded...)

Either way, especially around Sukhumvit, especially going West from Soi 4, be aware that Bangkok is just a mess and they can't just make a U turn... And at times of the day, it really will take them 30 minutes or longer just to turn around and be going the other direction... Be aware of where you are going and cross the street first if it's in that direction. A friend that was showing me around Bangkok on one of my first visits kept doing this, and as I made fun of her, decided to let me do things my way... That was an hour of my life spent poorly...

You can also try Bolt, which is a newer app / service that is sometimes cheaper than Grab.

The most pain free way of getting to the airport from the lower Suk area is to just get a taxi or motosai to Makkasan station (next to MRT Petchburi station) and then take the airport link train.  Guaranteed no traffic, unexpected delays or tolls, air con, and it only costs about 35 baht.

• 3 weeks later...

Would any kind BM give a guess how much a Grab or Bolt would be from Nana to Samui Prakan  ... about 30k I think ... I have a sometimes LLT in Bangkok but now living there with a relative since the covid. Might be a good few journeys involved ... long story...

6 minutes ago, Terryofcrete said:

Would any kind BM give a guess how much a Grab or Bolt would be from Nana to Samui Prakan  ... about 30k I think ... I have a sometimes LLT in Bangkok but now living there with a relative since the covid. Might be a good few journeys involved ... long story...

It’s just shy of 19km. I just tried it on my grab and it was 296thb.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Rocky Rockstar said:

How much is a taxi from Swampy to Nana these days? Only have 400B of cash on me at the moment for when I arrive but I don’t think it will be enough? If not I’ll have to change some up at the airport on arrival or catch the train 

You can cover the taxi, but barely.  Taxi is 250 -325  plus 75 for tolls.  I'd be safe and grab a few Baht at the airport.  Not too much as the exchange rate in town is MUCH better

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pogostick said:

I'd be safe and grab a few Baht at the airport.  Not too much as the exchange rate in town is MUCH better

I concur. Although if he's carrying banknotes that are less than pristine, might be worth taking the slight hit and trying to exchange them all at the airport. Reason... multiple booths just steps from each other, rather than spending hours in town going from one shop to the next. Time has value, too.

Just got back from 3 weeks in Thailand and found the grab really saved my ass the first time I used it...

I was looking for a sailboat to rent with a friend around Pattaya (actually on Jomtien Beach). Had done some searching online and had a list of possibilities.  Via baht bus, we got close, and then found a taxi, second place we tried we found a boat (hoby cat) and sailed around for a couple hours.

Leaving, we decided to walk up the beach to get back. 2 km later, sea on the left, I see to top of a large boat on the right.... start scanning the area, no bridges large enough for that boat to go under. There's water on both sides of us, we walked out into a dead end.

Checking google maps, sure enough, 5 km route to walk around this little inlet...

Way off the baht bus route.

No chance a taxi's going to just wander through the area.

Grab!!! We were picked up 5 minutes later and had a nice cheap ride to the hotel.  I dunno if it's cheaper than the taxi meter or not, but just knowing you can find a ride out in the middle of being fucking lost is priceless!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...