Taxi or Uber for travel around Bangkok?

Raven00

usually taxis will do the job, they are safe and cheap, if the driver doesn't want to turn on the meter than just get off and get in to another taxi

Uber is usefull when you want to go to uncommon areas that are far away, because some drivbers don't want to go that far

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using Uber mostly, just because it's easy to use with your mobile and you don't need cash to pay. Start arguing with taxi drivers about the meter, it's a waste of time IMO. Yes, in a crowdy area by night the Uber takes a little bit of time to arrive but it's also difficult to find a taxi driver who will accept to turn on the meter, so I still prefer Uber in this situation...

• Like 1

I used Uber from the airport the other day, 345bt and that included the tolls.  The only problem was finding the pickup location, I went to the ground level by the taxi, but the actually pickup is on the first floor by door 4 or 5.  Other than that, very easy to use.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Regarding Uber drivers. If you choose credit card some of them don't like it and may even not come. I never took the time to complain in these cases. You also don't have proof that it happened because of your payment method.

If you pay cash there's also a chance that you give a small tip. However it's good to have an Uber account as an additional option

Uber is not available in SE Asia anymore I think.  GRAB is the new UBER in Thailand and SE Asia.

Though Grab has acquired Uber, can anyone can affirm that now in BKK, only can use GRAB app and not uber?

Anyway, personally i use before grab/uber before in BKK, there will still be a difference of price in the event of the promo codes. Note: I use cash all the way for grab/uber without any tipping. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

as has been said, uber is now gone from thailand, and GRAB is the only options.  I have used GRAB many times - usually when I cant flag down a regular taxi.  In Bangkok GRAB is mainly used by the taxi drivers to help them find fares - works well for them in outer areas - where they can do a drop off and usually collect a pickup pretty quickly.

Grab also works in Pattaya - but it is grab car not grab taxi - same app though

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

The issue I’ve had with Grab is the availability of cars. For local journeys within Sukhumvit area, I’ve waited 10-15 minutes for someone to accept my job but often have had to resort to the Cowboy motor bike riders, whilst quicker and cheaper (with negotiation), are not exactly the safest. Uber was better in that you could pre book fixed price journeys to the airport. Could not do that with theGrab app

I wanted to try Uber and Grab but both of them quoted quite a high price. Eg from Phloenchit to DMK the Grab app quoted 450 THB before booking. The usual taxi price with meter is about 200-250. Same with Uber: from MBK to Cenral Embassy the Uber app quoted 170 THB. Is it normal that Grab and Uber charge so much?

Uber's business strategy in most places is to keep prices very low to push out any competitors especially traditional taxi services which usually can't compete. They are even getting some cities to pilot initiatives that subsidize some portion of uber rides if they're taking you to public transit. Regular taxis just can't compete.

In a place like Bangkok, they are taking on a different route since such a large portion of the lower income population may not even have bank accounts much less debit and credit cards. So they target a higher income demographic so can start at a higher price point than in other counties, essentially ignoring the lower income market. 

• 2 months later...