Cambodia Vs Vietnam

Zufan

Hi guys.

I am currently in Bangkok and would like to get out of here as i have 2-3 days to kill and i'm trying to decide between visiting Cambodia or Vietnam. I would be travelling to the respective capital cities..but trying to determine which of the two would be an exciting place to visit...the nature bit is good but since i am limited with time i would be in the city so exploring the city would be my plan..so basically need your tips about which of the two cities is preferrable for a budget traveller.

Cheers

K.

Zufan,

Depends what your after. For P4P then phnom Penh is probably better as its easy to bring girls back to hotel and its fairly cheap (vietnam is not easy to get girls into hotels). If you after non P4P activities such as siteseeing etc then vietnam would be better.

Either way in 2 - 3 days you wont get to see so much.

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhat depends on your lead time. You can get admission to Cambodia by showing up at the border, either overland or at the airport, with your passport and $20USD. Getting a Vietnamese visa takes a bit longer, probably going through one of the travel kiosks in town. Dont try to show up in Vietnam and expect to get an immediate visa. At least that has been the story the past few times that I looked into it.

Califdann

I agree with the 2 posts above, If you want P4P stick to Phnom Penh rather than Vietnam, Both places are not as good as Thailand and IMHO the girls on average aren't as stunning as Thai girls. Cambodia is a third world country so don't expect all the trappings available in Thailand to be there. Easy to get a visa, you get it at the airport on your arrival.

Ho Chi Minh has great food, more modern than Phnom Penh and some stunning women but the P4P scene is difficult and you would have to spend some time there to sus it out.

If your'e not worried about P4P and can get a visa from the embassy before you go then I'd recommend Ho Chi Minh. One thing I have found difficult in Ho Chi Minh is getting the 3plus and 4 star hotels at a reasonable price, its definitely more exspensive for hotels in this range but if you just want a very basic hotel and a very small room then Ho Chi Minh has heaps of these at pretty good prices.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

My #1 would be Siem Reap. If you've never seen Anchor Wat it's a must. Some good P4P and fun at night on 'Pub St' too. Better Viet girls in the biz here than in Saigon, I think. 3 days would be perfect. 2nd choice, I'd go to HCMC. Great town IMO. I like Phnom Penh for 3 or 4 days, but PP is admittedly a shithole. You can bring girls back to virtually all hotels in HCMC that cost less than say, $50. If you want to stay in a good hotel, just use the 'Mini' hotels for ST. They're pretty nice actually. Go to the # bars at the river end of Hai Ba Trung. Always seem to have some luck with Viet 'civilians' as well. For your visa, go down to the Vietnam Embassy down on Wireless (next to Plaza Athenee). They'll have your pp & visa ready the next day. Here's some advice - keep your valuables in plain sight when getting a massage in Nam. (I've been robbed as well as 2 of my friends) They like to sneak a girl under the table when you can't see anything. When you get your Vietnam visa, make sure the dates are correct. They've got a scam where they date it after your arrival, then immigration will shake you down at the airport or send you back to BKK. Yes, I've been shaken down. The big boss came over and wanted $200. I think I haggled him down to $40 or 50. I know 4 or 5 other guys who got the same treatment. I recommend you stay away from the hookers on the motos. Lotsa scams involved with these girls. For daytime action, ask a moto to take you to a Hot Toc. It's a barbershop that doesn't cut hair. He'll get a %, so if you go back, have the moto drop you around the corner. wj

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

I agree with the last post. I would go to Siem Reap. Airfare is a little pricy there though because of the monopoly (Bangkok Airlines I think?.) You can get to HCMC and PP cheaper flying AirAsia. If not Siem Reap, I would do HCMC. I wasnt a huge fan of Phnom Penh.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Friends...

If someone have to choose between the travel destinations Cambodia V Vietnam and also he or she is a budget traveler,then i will recommend them to go for Vietnam...I am suggesting you Vietnam to visit because recently i was in both these destinations and found that Vietnam is the cheaper as compare to Cambodia..Also Vietnam have many attractions for sight seeing whereas Cambodia have less ones...

Paul Simons.

• 3 months later...

if you want girls go to Cambodia. You can get beautiful girls from Nam there for a fraction of the price. I have been to Nam and it was a great sight seeing country and cheap but Cambodia was cheap as well and had a mongering scene that was much easier to navigate.

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

been to hanoi and siem reap both great places hanoi is mad lots to see and you can go to halong bay from there food and beer cheap but not mutch on the p4p siem reap is a small place but plenty to do the angkor temples are a most see food and beer is good on pub street and plenty of girls it not bangkok many tourists there but i have allways had girls come up to me there and about 5 mins walk from pub street there is a club called the blue wave club it is a hostess bar with st rooms out back very quit when i was there i was the only 1 in there!

• 5 months later...