changes to ed visa

marcoj

Hi,

Just had my language school confirm today that my papers had been processed for my ed visa and phoned the Thai consulate in Glasgow, UK to arrange an appointment for getting my visa.

First thing I was told is that you can't get multi entry anymore unless approval is granted by the Thai embassy in london, that one wasn't a surprise as I had read this somewhere else.

But then the woman told me that single entry would only allow 90 days and that then I would have to do the equivalent of a border run even on an ed visa.

First I've heard of this, I thought I just had to get it stamped in bkk every 90 days, and really defeats the purpose of getting the ed visa in the first place.

Can anyone confirm that I will have to go on a visa run with the ed visa? The woman I spoke too said she had worked there for 15 years but even she said she wasn't quite sure what was happening right now and I think she was referring to changes because of the coup.

Anyone who has processed an ed visa post coup had any issues?

Thanks

You would do a border run, only if you had a multiple entry.  You will have to go to Immigration to have your stay extended every 90 days on a single entry visa.  The school will have paperwork for you to take to immigration.  This way they can decide to not extend your stay, if they think you're not actually going to school.  I haven't heard of this happening to anyone yet.  However, with the way things are now, it wouldn't surprise me.

If you wanted to leave the country, you will need to go to immigration and get a re-entry permit.  If you fail to do this, your visa will be done.  I believe you would also have to be back in time to go to immigration before your 90 days was up.

You might want to check out the thread over at Thaivisa dealing with the stricter requirements for the Ed visa.

You would do a border run, only if you had a multiple entry.  You will have to go to Immigration to have your stay extended every 90 days on a single entry visa.  The school will have paperwork for you to take to immigration.  This way they can decide to not extend your stay, if they think you're not actually going to school.  I haven't heard of this happening to anyone yet.  However, with the way things are now, it wouldn't surprise me.

If you wanted to leave the country, you will need to go to immigration and get a re-entry permit.  If you fail to do this, your visa will be done.  I believe you would also have to be back in time to go to immigration before your 90 days was up.

You might want to check out the thread over at Thaivisa dealing with the stricter requirements for the Ed visa.

Thanks Rowyco.

From what your saying then I'm better of getting a single entry visa then, correct?

I will want to go to Australia, once maybe twice a year, to visit family so I just need to get a reentry permit for these times and all will be good?

I checked out the thaivisa thread as suggested, I do meet the requirements, so no issues there, and I will be staying long term in Thailand so intend to attend my classes.

Cheers

Considering the current situation, it's probably a good idea to avoid having to do visa runs.  As long as you'll be able to be back from Australia before your 90 day reporting is due, you should be fine with the single entry.  Just remember to go get your re-entry permit before you go. 

Which school are you going to attend?

Will be attending pro language school.

I do intend to get the education because I want to be able to speak Thai as I would like to be in bkk long term and I'm 36 so can't apply for retirement visa for a while yet.

I'v heard good things of this school.  I'd be interested to know what you think of the school.  If you can, give us an update on how you like the school after you've been going there a while.