Is There Any Other Place in the World as Tolerant as Thailand?

So, of the pharangs here, do you feel this same shady tolerance to the people you know personally? It's one thing when you're a visitor and people respect you for your money.

I was wondering if pharangs living in Thailand, who have a better grip on their culture and customs, can still have a nice relationship with Thais.   

• 2 years later...

Well the philippines has been tolerating both good and bad. They are so far the only country to stick to the truth in the bible when it comes to big issues such as same sex marriage, which is clearly easy to see in other countries. You see, being tolerant is not about allowing everything, but also stepping up to stand against what is really wrong by moral standards of a normal person at the very least. That is all true.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone who has been in Thailand and been in a non mongering situation for any length of time will soon realise Thais are very racist.  I put that down to their insular outlook and their many different Governments who are all like Dynasty's.  Much the same as North Korea.

• 1 year later...

Pretty much all Asians are racist in my experience.

The pent up anger amongst Thai guys mainly comes from young men in the lower classes, and only if you don't know them.

Most middle class and hiso Thais are at worst indifferent and at best curious and welcoming towards foreigners.  But the social experiences of most mongers are probably heavily skewered towards the working poor...

I wouldn't say Thailand is inherently tolerant, but it's more that people won't fuck with you if you don't fuck with them.  Live and let live.

It's weird - Thailand is a military dictatorship and in some ways a police state, but I've never ever felt more free than when I'm Thailand.

If you want to see real racism and xenophobia, try living here in Japan...

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Reviving an old thread.

The way I see it, it does not matter which country you go to. If you are not there to benefit the country economically in some way, you are not welcome. Why should people accept you if you are just a burden to them and their country? If you come to my country, Australia and you are poor and require government assistance (using taxpayer's money) then it will be known you are not welcome here.