Riding motorbike at Bangkok

sCk

Hi there ,

I am a real freak of motorcycles , change every year and have few at home ( Aprilia Dordosuro 1200 and SXV 550 ) use to go to track with them and have years experience on

Has really the idea of renting motorbike at Bangkok while i was there but wait .....what kind of traffic is that ? everyone do what they want but everybody understand ?? . WTF Most probably i would had accident as i know how much i like to run avoiding traffic

Did not see motorcycles bigger than 500cc only King guards riding BMW 1200GT and one day people on KTM adventure coming from route

What about you guys ? I finally do not rent , but any of you go adventure and ride thought bangkok ? :blink:

All the best

I have driven a car out of town and on the outskirts of BKK . Out of town driving and the roads are fine no problems. Although you are a target for the local police who want to supplement their income. I was with two Thai people and while to police would look very closely and sometimes stop me after a chat with the Thais in the vehicle I was free to go on my way - no fine! Once I hit the outskits of BKK things changed and I ask one of the Thais to drive. I am sure there are rules of the road but these apperared to be optional. I am told few Thais have insurance so any damage is a matter between the parties to resolve. A comment from my Thai mate was if you have an accident most Thais feel as you are a foreigner you are by default to blame as if you were not in their country the accident would not have happened! Thai logic again

On a bike I think you would be very vulnerable to both accidents and the police. So make sure you have good medical, cover understand the insurance you have if you hire a bike and expect the Boys is Brown to be looking to you to help their retirement fund.

Hi there ,

I am a real freak of motorcycles , change every year and have few at home ( Aprilia Dordosuro 1200 and SXV 550 ) use to go to track with them and have years experience on

Has really the idea of renting motorbike at Bangkok while i was there but wait .....what kind of traffic is that ? everyone do what they want but everybody understand ?? . WTF Most probably i would had accident as i know how much i like to run avoiding traffic

Did not see motorcycles bigger than 500cc only King guards riding BMW 1200GT and one day people on KTM adventure coming from route

What about you guys ? I finally do not rent , but any of you go adventure and ride thought bangkok ? :blink:

All the best

• 3 weeks later...

Most policemen don't speak english, so when they stop u, if u speak to them english or some other language, they most probably won't know what to do with u and tell u to continue on your way.

If this don't work, try slipping them a 100 baht note - this always works.

• 9 months later...

I have a friend that rides a 125 click in bangkok all the time. Only 1 accident so far. Only real problem is getting stopped for bribes especially around thonglor. The police in bangkok make up alot of laws against foreigners and expect their 100-300 b tip. One law for thais and another for expats.  good luck

I have a friend that rides a 125 click in bangkok all the time. Only 1 accident so far. Only real problem is getting stopped for bribes especially around thonglor. The police in bangkok make up alot of laws against foreigners and expect their 100-300 b tip. One law for thais and another for expats. good luck

I drive a click 125i as well and have been stopped probably 4 times. Paid the same as Thai people, 100-200 baht, generally half or less than the face value of the ticket. Each time I was stopped they told me what I was doing wrong and the reasons were never fabricated. I've also passed the same check points doing everything correctly (helmet, stay to the left even though that's where they setup the road blocks) and haven't been stopped.

It's a shitty system and annoys me that they wear face masks and big sunglasses so they don't end up on YouTube or Facebook like a few have, but then again I was in the wrong each time. Most people do enough traffic violatioms the cops dont need to fabricate reasons. Each time I've been stopped there were plenty of Thais getting the same treatment. Wish more violations were corrected to be honest.

My buddy drives a big Ducati all over bangkok and only got stopped once. I don't think they could catch him on their little piece of shit bikes anyways but I wouldn't want to test them on my 125cc haha.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi there ,

What about you guys ? I finally do not rent , but any of you go adventure and ride thought bangkok ? http://www.bangkok-addicts.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/blink.gif

All the best

I am a ducati man but this year i Will pass...

It was on the news here in italy the crash of a famous singer for italian Disney channel Two days ago in bkk, which left her in a coma and her fiance on the ground...

Better a good Yamaha r1 in patts... For bkk i use metro... Imho

Peace

Marco

• 2 months later...

Driving in Bkk is quite stressful the first months as you need to understand how things work there. More than in any other place, you ll need to predict other driver's mistake. Some vehicules are much more dangerous than others: Buses, Fortuner, taxi in a lesser extent etc. Driving every day for 7 years, i had only one accident but that was at the begining. That being said, there is no point and no fun in driving a 500cc+ in Bkk, in the end it gets you slower than smaller bikes.

As for the police, you need to know the road's laws (yeah there is a few!), i've never been fined just because i was a faramg, i always deserved it in the end. And as said above, if you re not on sukhumvit, police doesn t speak much english and will sometimes (30% i d say) let you go withouht paying a dime.

• 1 month later...

I've been riding a motorbike in BKK for 6 years. First a CBR150 (slim and light and agile) and then a CBR250 for the past 3 years. You really don't need much more CC. 

It looks more chaotic looking in from outside, than being in it. Once you get used to how the traffic moves and flows you'll be okay as long as you stay focused the entire time. 

Never mind the local lads on their scooters 'racing' you, then gloating when they 'beat' you. :D

By the way, get a driving license first and make sure your bike has first class insurance including bailbond. Mine is about 5k p/a for the CBR250.

K-Bank debit card also has an Accident Insurance built into the deal. 500b p/a with coverage of 5000b. Enough to cover an ambulance, x-rays, hospital fees and medication. They just scan the front of the Debit Card when you arrive at the hospital and it's done. 

You could ride in BKK... But is in enjoyable? Fuck no. I ride everywhere except Bangkok. Not that I'm scared. It's just a hassle. With the trains, taxis, and motorbike taxis everywhere I don't see the need. You can save money, stay safe and the cops wont bother you if you just take taxis. Plus I'm a drunk so there's another reason.