safety in bangkok

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

bangkok is very safe , but as long as you stick around the tourist areas and not some unknown dodgy suburbs late at night , crime happens in bangkok just like any city in the world ,just be aware and dont wander off with anyone you dont know , by that i mean males or thai guys trying to scam you in something, if your staying in 4 star hotels all good as well...

if you follow the rules all will be ok ,

Sukhumvit between Asoke and Soi 3 used to have a bad reputation for ladyboy pickpockets late at night - usually working in pairs. Not sure what it's like now.

Sukhumvit generally is a dodgy area, compared to the other places you would probably be staying in. That said your unlikely to be mugged unless you are making a point to show something off. I wear my watch but leave rings and chain at home.

• 2 years later...

I normally leave my good watch, passport, main wallet and laptop in my room safe along with my UK mobile & IPad etc.

I always carry a second wallet with me it has some cash and one atm card that only has a couple of hundred pounds on it..i can top it up online. And my Malaysian photo ID and after reading a few posts will do a copy of my passport as well.

If you wear trainers or shoes with socks then you can always put you big bills in there, most pick pockets wont stoop that low :-).

If you are sensible and keep your head switched you will be fine, pissed well we all know how the decision making goes then.

JR

• 3 weeks later...

Agree with above. Also be very weary or aware of the group tactics. Watched some tourist just outside of Chutakut market get chatted up by a group of thai locals. One man asked what he had bought, and the tourist started showing him a map he had purchased. Others gathered around pointing at the map and asking if he had been here or there. It all seemed ok until I noticed that both of the tourist were engaged with eyes on the map and not their back packs. I noticed one who had worked around to the rear and he was obviously looking to open or access a pack if he could. I injected myself into the conversation and brought the subject away from the map. Once I had broken up the deal, I quickly talked to the two and gave them a heads up as to what was about to happen.

Stay alert. Stay safe, and have a good time.

Bangkok is the most capital dangerous city in the world ... unlike your own major cities where no one gets conned, overcharged, robbed or cheated. Please don't come here with all your money as there are enough of us here already and we can cope with all the street crime, danger and women without your help. 555

• Upvote 1