safety in bangkok

Muggings in BKK are almost non-existent. Bangkok is without a doubt the SAFEST city of 10 million on this sorry-ass earth of ours. Seriously...of course, you must use common sense and keep your wits about you, but I regularly walk Sukhumvit at 3-4 am stumbling drunk, with 5-6k baht in my pocket, as well as a $600 USD cellphone and often a $700 USD camera in a bag as well...I have never felt the least bit threatened or in danger. There is NO big city in the US (or pretty much any other country) I would dare try that in...

As long as you are not an asshole, and don't start shit with Thai guys (or douchebag farangs--you know, the bald head, heavily tattooed variety, usually hailing from the British Isles, ahem, ahem--you will be safe.

• 2 weeks later...

bangkok is very safe , but as long as you stick around the tourist areas and not some unknown dodgy suburbs late at night , crime happens in bangkok just like any city in the world ,just be aware and dont wander off with anyone you dont know , by that i mean males or thai guys trying to scam you in something, if your staying in 4 star hotels all good as well...

if you follow the rules all will be ok ,

• 2 months later...

Is it safe to travel around bangkok with your laptop or mugging is very common ?

If I stay in a 4+ star hotel ... will it be safe to leave laptop in my room ?

Also please give some general tips for safety and security

Dont do at other country what you will never do at yours ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Good point mate. It is often the non Thais that you need to lookout for. Most Thias do not want to kill the goose that lays the golden egg so tourists are well protected. Many years ago on Sukhumvit I was looking at one of the stalls when unbeknown to me a Thai bloke tried to pick my pocket. The holder of the stall saw what he was up to and she set about him, she gave him a real beating and some of the other stall holders joined in.

The turist places are pretty safe. Only one thing: be careful with black guys (nothing personal!) on the Sukhumvit. They are looking for drugs transporters.

cheers

t.

Good point mate. It is often the non Thais that you need to lookout for. Most Thias do not want to kill the goose that lays the golden egg so tourists are well protected. Many years ago on Sukhumvit I was looking at one of the stalls when unbeknown to me a Thai bloke tried to pick my pocket. The holder of the stall saw what he was up to and she set about him, she gave him a real beating and some of the other stall holders joined in.

Most of Thai are very friendly (I have some very good Thai friends - bot male and female) but once upon a time I had problem with a crazy motorcycle rider. I was walking on the walkside on RamaIX and there was a horrible traffic. One of the riders wanted to omit the jam and rode on a pedestrians place, bad, there was not enough place for us both and he scratched his motorbike. As you can imagine, he stopped, started to yell on me, even spit, he wanted me to pay for the scratches (funny guy - rode on the pedestrian area and had some problems). It was not more than 1 min, there were some security guys, 2 minutes police arrived. No problems for me, big problems for him. Really, you can feel almost 100% safe in BKK.

• 2 weeks later...

Bangkok is truly one of the safest cities around. Avoid the 3 wheel TUK TUK drivers trying to get you to let them take you someplace very special. It is usually special... in that they are going to get all your available cash before you get away...

But safety in the room, do try the safe in your room for your laptop. OR.. ask the reception area to keep it in THEIR safe, even better. More inconvenient but safer. And in either case be sure you do a full back up at home and save the media THERE, not with the laptop. for me, the software is worth 20 times what the laptop is worth. Big inconvenience, but not the end of the world.

Passport copy on you is a good idea. Also the double wallet idea is a good one.

Don't obsess over it, but do protect yourself. Don't wade into a crowd of unknown folks. Walk around them and avoid. Very unlikely what ever it is they are so excited about would even interest you.