AIS Mobile Life

ratchada

I know this isn't really "new" news to many, but I just discovered it on my recent trip: if you have an AIS SIM card, their "Mobile Life" program is quite a good way to connect if your hotel or apartment doesn't have DSL, and you don't want to throw your money away in an e-mail shop. Basically, you authorize them to subtract a certain amount from whatever you have charged on your SIM (via those cards you get at 7-11, etc.), and then you use your cellphone as a modem to connect to your laptop (either via USB or Bluetooth). For 100 baht, for instance, you get 20 hours of connect time and a month in which to use it; 300 baht gets you unlimited connect time in a given month. The connection is not lightning-fast, but quite sufficient to check e-mail and do moderate web-based tasks (Facebook, reading blogs, etc.).

• 2 months later...

I know this isn't really "new" news to many, but I just discovered it on my recent trip: if you have an AIS SIM card, their "Mobile Life" program is quite a good way to connect if your hotel or apartment doesn't have DSL, and you don't want to throw your money away in an e-mail shop. Basically, you authorize them to subtract a certain amount from whatever you have charged on your SIM (via those cards you get at 7-11, etc.), and then you use your cellphone as a modem to connect to your laptop (either via USB or Bluetooth). For 100 baht, for instance, you get 20 hours of connect time and a month in which to use it; 300 baht gets you unlimited connect time in a given month. The connection is not lightning-fast, but quite sufficient to check e-mail and do moderate web-based tasks (Facebook, reading blogs, etc.).

Thanks for the info. What's the speeds you usually get out there on that tariff?