Khao San Backpackers Area Worthwhile Visiting?

From general tourism videos, I saw that Khao San Rd or backpacker's area is worth visiting but for mongers staying on Sukhumvit between Nana and Soi Cowboy, is there really anything that we would be able to get on Khao San in terms of tourist (non-mongering) stuff that we wouldn't get along Sukhumvit?

24 minutes ago, exoticspirit said:

From general tourism videos, I saw that Khao San Rd or backpacker's area is worth visiting but for mongers staying on Sukhumvit between Nana and Soi Cowboy, is there really anything that we would be able to get on Khao San in terms of tourist (non-mongering) stuff that we wouldn't get along Sukhumvit?

No really.  It's more of a social bar area imo.  
It's worth checking out for a day to enjoy the vibe.

56 minutes ago, Frosty said:

No really.  It's more of a social bar area imo.  
It's worth checking out for a day to enjoy the vibe.

Thanks for your input - no need to meet other tourists especially foreign (non Thai) females during my trip.  And if the food is not vastly superior on Khao San, maybe just as well stay on Sukhumvit most of the time (but still making some time to see stuff like the Grand Palace too)

On 6/28/2024 at 11:03 AM, exoticspirit said:

Thanks for your input - no need to meet other tourists especially foreign (non Thai) females during my trip.  And if the food is not vastly superior on Khao San, maybe just as well stay on Sukhumvit most of the time (but still making some time to see stuff like the Grand Palace too)

The stereotype notion for the area is that it’s a place cheap and young backpackers hang out at.

It’s a different vibe down there, but there is nothing there that you can’t get in sukhumvit. It doesn’t wake up until after 6pm. Personality, I don’t like it at all. It’s (as a rule) full of knob heads.

I combined a trip to Khao San (worth it for the photo of me with the table of edible insects you can chow down on) with a walk through nearby Chinatown. Had a dinner of terrific grilled fish at a street restaurant right off Yaowarat Road. Came back by the Chao Phraya River boat and got to see the temples along the river all lit up at night. I was back at Sukhumvit with plenty of time to go out, so yeah, it was worth it.

https://rexyedventures.com/2014/08/31/mugged-in-thailand/

https://www.reddit.com/r/solotravel/comments/yk0mv3/i_was_beaten_and_sent_to_the_hospital_on_the_last/

Bad things like this can happen anywhere, but there are places they happen more often, and Khaosan Rd is one of them.

The area has a pretty shitty reputation with any Thai person I've ever heard mention it.

It really is a very small little area actually.

I can't imagine the food there is anything better than anywhere else. If you want to try the whole street food / food cart scene try Silom (Patpong) instead, much easier to get to and less likely to.

There's nothing to see on Khao San Road but other tourists and overpriced tuk tuk's. 

If you go and don't like what you see, head over one street to the north, Thanon Rambuttri.  That street has a much more pleasant vibe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wtboatr said:

If you go and don't like what you see, head over one street to the north, Thanon Rambuttri.  That street has a much more pleasant vibe.

Yes, Soi Rabuttri is definitely better. As it goes, it not just tourists on Khao San now. During Covid, the younger Thai crowd moved in there and still go.

• Like 2

I decided to tick it off a couple of weeks ago. I fucking hated it. Reminded me of the worst shitty pissed up tourist resorts of Europe - I'm looking at you Shagaluf - and can confirm if you're over 25, it's full of knob heads.

Food was overpriced, tacky crocodile heads next the 'crocodile' kebabs, terrible bars, terrible music. Best part was Ladyboys selling 'party balloons' ( Google it).  Thanon Rambuttri much nicer vibe. Given that Khaosan is a pain to get to, I wouldn't say it's worth it. Unless you get to see some privileged farang arsehole get punched out by a local. 

Never touched kao san.  never will.  

If you’re intent on hitting on fat ugly aussie or Indian broads, Khao san is for you.