Digital Nomad Visa

Dubbers

What's the easiest/surest way to get a longer-term visa? I'd like to relocate to Bangkok for a year and rent an apartment etc. 

Read an article about a new Digital Nomad visa coming soon which would be ideal. Otherwise what do you guys do? Just constant visa runs? Or you have a student visa or something?

Is it a pain in the butt to keep extending your tourist visa each month with the immigration office? How long does it take to do?

Can you rent an apartment for a year with only a tourist visa?

Cheers!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2022 at 1:02 AM, Dubbers said:

What's the easiest/surest way to get a longer-term visa? I'd like to relocate to Bangkok for a year and rent an apartment etc. 

Read an article about a new Digital Nomad visa coming soon which would be ideal. Otherwise what do you guys do? Just constant visa runs? Or you have a student visa or something?

Is it a pain in the butt to keep extending your tourist visa each month with the immigration office? How long does it take to do?

Cheers!

It really depends on which country you are coming from in some ways, you could rent an apartment for longer than 30days on a tourist visa just have to negotiate with landlord

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm hearing rumors recently about a digital nomad 5-year visa for Bali, Indonesia.  But haven't heard anything similar for Thailand, and the Bali visa isn't a done-deal yet.  

I would recommend looking into an education visa, if you have any serious interest in learning some of the local language.  They will expect you to actually be learning it, and not just paying for the visa.  Muay Thai is also an option, I understand.  I don't think getting in shape would be a bad thing, to boot!

There is a visa by investment, but from what I recall, it's in the $260k USD range that you'd have to spend in order to get that.  The Thai Elite would be a great option, too - if you have $16,500 USD to spend for 5-years.  But with that, if you're staying in Bangkok especially, you still have to report every 90 days, but can just drop your passport off at the T.E office and they'll take care of everything for you.  

OP I second Mark if you wanna be here long term then you should look into Thai language visa/ Muay Thai visa if your age allows, there is no certainty about digital nomad visas as per grapevine it's gonna meet stringent requirements such as $1mil investment for wealthy foreigners , $80k annual income for past 2-3 years or $1mil overseas assets, special skill talents etc so If it were me I would have taken Thai language visa to live here 1 year or so and if I want to stay long term then I would have bought the elite visa.

• 1 month later...

In the works is the LTR digital professionals stream. We will learn more in September. It's valid for 10 years and will be multi entry, worker rights with tax residency.

You need to work for a big company, earn more than 80k USD and have more than 5y experience.

I'm keeping my ears on the pulse of that one.

On 2/23/2022 at 11:02 PM, Dubbers said:

Cheers!

For one year your best bet would be a 1 year edu visa.  It's about $1000 USD for one year at a language school.  There is a minimum attendance requirement which is about 10 hours per week for most schools.

You can't get a full year off a tourist visa.  With the six month multi entry you would do three cycles of enter -> stay 60 days -> extend for 30 days at immigration -> exit and re-enter again, giving you 9 months total.  Whether that's bearable is going to depend on you, it is quite a few days of time commitment and extra cost to do all the entering and exiting.  Also bear in mind that every time you do a visa run, there is a possibility that they won't let you re-enter, even with a valid visa.

Getting an extension to your tourist visa entry requires a trip out to immigration at Chaeng Wattana.  There's a bit of travel time and some waiting around.  It can take anything from a morning to a day and costs about 2k baht.

With a 1 year edu visa all you have to do is report every 90 days which is much easier.

Whether you can get a rental with a tourist visa is going to be up to the individual landlord or rental agent that you're dealing with.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 8/11/2022 at 11:10 PM, FunkMaster said:

For one year your best bet would be a 1 year edu visa.  It's about $1000 USD for one year at a language school.  There is a minimum attendance requirement which is about 10 hours per week for most schools.

You can't get a full year off a tourist visa.  With the six month multi entry you would do three cycles of enter -> stay 60 days -> extend for 30 days at immigration -> exit and re-enter again, giving you 9 months total.  Whether that's bearable is going to depend on you, it is quite a few days of time commitment and extra cost to do all the entering and exiting.  Also bear in mind that every time you do a visa run, there is a possibility that they won't let you re-enter, even with a valid visa.

Getting an extension to your tourist visa entry requires a trip out to immigration at Chaeng Wattana.  There's a bit of travel time and some waiting around.  It can take anything from a morning to a day and costs about 2k baht.

With a 1 year edu visa all you have to do is report every 90 days which is much easier.

Whether you can get a rental with a tourist visa is going to be up to the individual landlord or rental agent that you're dealing with.

Does the 1000 for education visa include both the visa and the cost classes? I just started looking into this.