Table tennis Ping pong

thailien

Table tennis anyone? My condo building has a good table in a big room, open all day and evening, for free. Aircon available I'm retired and usually available to play. Others sometimes can play. Close to MRT subway. Ping pong is fun at any level, and great exercise. I can loan you a paddle.

• 2 months later...

Table tennis anyone? My condo building has a good table in a big room, open all day and evening, for free. Aircon available I'm retired and usually available to play. Others sometimes can play. Close to MRT subway. Ping pong is fun at any level, and great exercise. I can loan you a paddle.

Hi there,

Myself and a table-tennis colleague are searching for a place to have a knock within the next few days/weeks...we are both over here in Thailand at present. We both play in local leagues back home. Indoor tables seem to be sadly lacking in Thailand, would it be possible to come along and play against you/each other? I look forward to hearing from you, best wishes, Pete

Hi there,

Myself and a table-tennis colleague are searching for a place to have a knock within the next few days/weeks...we are both over here in Thailand at present. We both play in local leagues back home. Indoor tables seem to be sadly lacking in Thailand, would it be possible to come along and play against you/each other? I look forward to hearing from you, best wishes, Pete

I like to play myself - darn shame there are so few places to place in BKK.

• 1 month later...

I like to play myself - darn shame there are so few places to place in BKK.

I'm coming over again this week, and I'm bringing a list of venues with tables with me...if you fancy meeting up for a knock you can reach me via this site. Regards, Pete

Hi there,

Thailien, are you still available for a knock??

• 4 months later...

According to the ITTF website, the first use of the name "Table Tennis" appeared on a board and dice game made by J.H.Singer of New York in 1887, showing that the phrase "table tennis" had been around at least since then.

In 1901, John Jacques registered "Ping-Pong" as a trade name in England, and the American rights were sold to Parker Brothers. On the 12th December 1901, "The Table Tennis Association" was formed in England, and four days later, "The Ping-Pong Association" was also formed in England. These two associations would later merge in 1903 to become "The United Table Tennis and Ping-Pong Association", and then would eventually change back to "The Table Tennis Association" before dying out in 1904.

This seems to suggest that the names ping-pong and table tennis were fairly interchangeable at the origin of the sport. And as Parker Brothers were apparently very aggressive in protecting their rights to the trade name "Ping-Pong" in America, it is perhaps understandable that when the game began to revive in England and Europe in the 1920's, the name table tennis was preferred to ping-pong to avoid trademark disputes. It would also explain why the governing body of the sport is the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF).

So as far as history is concerned, the names ping-pong and table tennis were equally valid when referring to the sport. So much for the past - what about the present?

The condo I am leaving at has some pretty good sports amenities which actually include a workout gym, a badminton court, swimming pool, and a room for table tennis. I noticed that most of the time, only the Chinese folks are playing on that ping pong table.

I know how to play it but I am not confident enough to play with them because they seem to be really good at it, and even with curving the ball to the sides.

• 1 year later...

Yes Tom, am still looking...did you get my reply that went directly to you on Thursday??

Does anyone know where the top Thai players train/play in BKK?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Guys, Im new in Bangkok, I'm Originally from Samoa -- but I have been in the US since age of 7.

Looking to play table tennis too. I don't know where to play. and Who to play with.

Been reading on this thread since yesterday. Any chance I get someone to play with? i don't mind moving around the city.

Hello edwinengine,

Its a problem to know where to play in Bangkok, places exist but seemingly only for the top Thai players...

I am in Mahachai, Samutsakhon about 50 minutes south of the capital; have my own table and equipment...

I can play most days, let me know if you can get to Mahachai at any time, my wife and I will be pleased to welcome you...